Splatoon is a four-on-four multiplayer action game that drops players into a battle arena that two teams strive to claim as their own. Players of each team spray ink on the ground around them while blotting out the opposing team members in turf war competitions.
Each character can turn into a squid and swim through his or her own team’s ink – gliding up and down walls and under floors – with ease. Using intuitive controls made possible with the Wii U GamePad’s gyro sensor makes it easy to look around and aim, and the on-screen map displays the entire arena at a glance, both of which feel great and redefine multiplayer action.
- Team up and take on other teams in an action-filled battle to cover the level with as much ink as possible. Spray walls to access hard-to-reach areas.
- Covering more territory with ink unlocks powered-up super weapons that can be used to attack rivals or cover more turf.
- Strategy is everything. Defeat enemies to splatter them in an explosion of ink, covering more turf for your team. But choose wisely: Players who only go after the enemy might find their turf redecorated in their enemies' colours.
- Refill ink tanks, hide from opponents, or move faster by turning into a squid and diving into the ink with the tap of a button.
- Select between multiple control options on the Wii U GamePad controller, including using gyroscopic controls to look around, allowing for better aiming and control.
- Hop online and battle in four-on-four matches.